Difference between the manufacture- and OBD diagnostics:
We offer two kinds of car diagnostics - unlimited manufacturer-specific in-depth diagnostics of all installed electronic modules and standard On-board diagnostics (OBD).
With the manufacturer-specific diagnosis, you can save more than 80 EUR on workshop costs. This kind of diagnosis is available for Carly’s core brands such as BMW, VAG, Toyota, Mercedes, Renault, Porsche and Ford which have been long in development and therefore have more functions available (manufacturer-specific fault codes can be found).
For Carly’s non-core brands which have been implemented recently, we offer only generic OBD functions (On-board diagnostics and live parameters). Generic OBD, superficial error codes or parameters (not manufacturer-specific) can be found and displayed.
Please differentiate between fault codes and INFO fault codes:
Info fault-codes are not active fault-codes. They used to be active in the past but were fixed. Often, these are electronic faults in the communication of the respective control unit. Don’t worry, you must only fix the active fault-codes, not info-codes.
Fault codes in a diagnostics report
INFO fault codes in a diagnostics report
And this is how fault codes and INFO fault codes look like in the Carly App:
Before searching for errors with diagnostics, please make sure that all these conditions are fulfilled:
- Make sure that you have unlocked the Carly Features in the app. The manufacturer-specific faults are displayed and can also be deleted if you have the unlocked the Carly Features. With the free Basic Features in app, you can only read out and delete generic OBD fault codes.
- Are the Carly Features available for your car brand and model? You can find the list of the supported models and functions here
- Make sure that you have chosen the exact vehicle model in the app manually (no any other vehicle model) → Start the engine and click on "Connect".
- Check if the engine runs while you are performing car diagnostics.
- Use only the Carly OBD2 Scanner App. The stand-alone-apps like Carly for VAG, Carly for Mercedes, etc. are not up to date anymore and will be disabled soon.
- Make sure that you use the latest version of the app (you can check which is the latest version in app stores).
- If internet connection interrupts, please reinstall the app and restart your smartphone.
Please check if the OBD diagnostics works. To check it, just follow these steps:
- Start the app (don't connect with your scanner now!)
- Click on „OBD function“
- Start the engine
- Click on "Connect"
Now try to connect to your vehicle. If there is no conection, follow these steps:
- Reinstall the app and restart your phone
- Remove all Bluetooth devices from your Bluetooth list
- Activate "Location" in your phone settings
- Unplug and replug the adapter and check that the blue LED flashes once per second (If this is not the case, please write us how your adapter flashes)
- Make sure your Bluetooth is activated (do not manually connect to the scanner in the settings of your phone)
- Start the engine
- Start the app and select the right car brand and model
- Click on "connect" inside the app
- Make sure to choose the right scanner model from the app scanner list / check if you have chosen the right scanner
We recommend that you use the Carly Universal OBD Scanner for a better speed.
Info regarding BMW:
The speed of F/G-Models diagnosis is lower on purpose. This ensures that as many ECUs as possible are found in your F/G model. The speed of diagnosis of E-models should be sufficient.
Older BMW models up to 2001 often have another OBD connector under the hood. Please check if you can find such a connector under the hood. In this case, you need an additional 20-pin adapter.